It’s quite simple – we turned back time in the workshop and handcrafted the toboggan of the 1880s. From the authentic half-circle design to the knots of the Manila rope and classic linseed oil finish, this is the downhill toboggan legends are made of. Heirloom quality construction for the purist to the modern family; the perfect piece of family history.
IT IS AWESOME ! We will be using it this weekend. It will be the family heirloom that will be passed down.”
Bruce - Bishop, CA
The evolution of toboggans originally came from the very practical native American techniques for transporting their camp and snow gear over long distances. In the 1800s in Montreal, things changed. A group of British soldiers started using their old supply toboggans to go down Mount Royal and in no time, the downhill sledding toboggan was born.
Fits Three Sledders
- A traditional 6 foot toboggan to be handed down after a lifetime of memories.
- This toboggan sits up to two adults or three children.
- Our most popular toboggan designed for downhill sledding and light towing.
- Overall Length (including curl) is approximately 64 inches
- Length of Flat approximately 55 inches
- Width 15.5 inches
- Height (of curl) 10.5 inches
- Weight 23 lbs
Downhill Toboggans Emerged in the Early 1800's
These toboggans shared many of the same attributes of freighting toboggans, but are marked by a half-circle curl and often different material, largely ash or maple.
A Tribute to the Past
We have reproduced the toboggan of the 1800s to rekindle the simple joys of winter and the holidays - a traditional toboggan offering an authentic design from the 1800s with historically matched materials and a classic linseed oil finish. The result is a beautiful toboggan to be enjoyed for generations!
Our Wood Philosophy
- White Ash is sourced responsibly and purchased directly from a lumber mill.
- Over the decades we have developed partners who invest time in hand selecting "toboggan grade” boards for us which is the highest level of grading in the wood industry.
- Why ash? Our research revealed that original downhill toboggans were largely made of ash or maple which are durable hardwoods that bend easily and offer more vivid grain patterns and definition.
Cultivating Family Tradition
To build the 1800s Toboggan, we had to do a little bit of homework. Studying antique snow sleds and vintage toboggans, we were able to replicate key features which has given our 1800s Toboggan a classic toboggan profile.
The result is one of the best sleds for adults and kids. A timeless piece of snow sports equipment that might last another two hundred years.
Our Traditional Steam Bending
- We steam bend by hand, in small batches. No chemicals are used in this process.
- We keep in mind that each piece of wood is unique. Each will bend and flex differently requiring true craftmanship.
- This steam bending technique has been passed down for generations.